If you don't know much about Magnesium, like I didn't, what I am about to layout for you might just blow your mind;at least it did for me. As I read more and more about the benefits and importance of Magnesium I was shocked I haven't been educated on it before!
Why Magnesium? (In General)
The National Institutes of Health says, “Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis." That's a lot of functions and that's just a part of the list!
Here is the real kicker about magnesium - if you don't have enough magnesium in your body and you are taking other supplements such as calcium, vitamin D, etc., your body isn't getting the full value of those vitamins without having the correct amount of magnesium in your body. Think of it this way, magnesium is the foundation of your house of vitamins and minerals; without the correct foundation you can't build a strong stable house, no matter much you try.
Who needs it?
EVERYONE! Magnesium is a mineral your body needs for optimal health. And, unfortunately, the majority of Americans aren't coming close to their needed daily intake. The reason being: processed foods. As parents we know know life gets busy and it's easier to pop in a TV dinner or go through the drive through than take the time to cook a hearty meal full of protein, grains and veggies; which means we are getting the correct minerals and vitamins needed to maintain healthy - including the much needed magnesium. So much so, the National Institute of health reports that 60% of Americans are magnesium deficient and other experts report up to 80%.
Why you need it?
The Benefits of Magnesium for Children
- Reduces hyperactivity (even those with symptoms of ADHD)
- Aides with temper tantrums (terrible twos helper)
- Helps children with Asthma (reduce swelling of airways)
- Reduces stress/anxiety/depression
The best solution is to feed your children a well balanced diet of whole grains, greens, and fiber. Junk food depletes the body's magnesium storage. You can also add a multivitamin to your child's daily routine to support their balanced diet. Try Natural Vitality Kids Calm Multivitamin; it's all organic and is gives your body an extra punch of magnesium.
The Benefits of Magnesium for Parents (Us):
- Reduces Stress & Anxiety (no parent ever get stressed, lol!)
- Prevents osteoporosis/ bone loss
- Prevents Heart Disease
- Regulates high blood pressure (Hypertension)
- Treats migraines, insomnia, and depression
- Aides in preventing diabetes (along with balanced diet)
- Reduces PMS/Hormone Imbalance
- Relieves chronic body pains/Fibramalgia
- Increases bioavailability of calcium
- Prevents and reverses kidney stone formation
- Lowers serum cholesterol levels and triglycerides
- Decreases insulin resistance
- Treats asthma and emphysema
- Helps make proteins
- Encourages proper elimination
Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency (Adults & Older Children):
- Body aches
- Leg cramps
- Fatigue or low energy
- Restless sleep
- Headaches and migraines
- Muscle twitches
- Chronic constipation
- Insulin resistance
- Severe PMS
How to Increase your Magnesium Intake
Remember changing your diet is always the better option than taking a supplement and talk to your doctor before making radical changes to your diet. But to get you started here are some magnesium rich foods to incorporate in your daily diet and recommended supplements:
Magnesium Rich Foods
- Green vegetables (like broccoli)
- Whole-grain wheat, rice, oats, and ry
- Brazil nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Brewer's yeast
- Beans, white, navy & black
- Dr. Dales Magnesium (I have success with this product personally)
- Over the counter pills (250-400mg adult) See dosage reference chart
- Natural Vitality Kids Calm Multivitamin
To learn more please vist:
Eat healthy & Be well!!